General discussion about CrossCode.

[Spoilers] The In-Game Lore

User

Jachra

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 pm

[Spoilers] The In-Game Lore

by Jachra » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:44 pm

So! Having completed this game, I'd happily rate it a 9/10. One of my favorite games of all time easily.

The only thing keeping it from being a full 10/10 is that all of the investment put into the in-game lore kind of lacks a payoff. This set in around Gaea's Garden, wherein it became extremely clear that the Shad and everything regarding the game's game-lore is really just a sham - and while that isn't inherently a bad idea, it feels like we had a whole lot of information that never really went anywhere.

It's especially baffling in light of a few things:

1) Why emphasize how much the First Scholars care about lore when it ultimately has no relevance to the actual story of the game?
2) Why is the game set on a moon instead of a virtual environment? Isn't that outrageously expensive compared to just building this thing on a server farm on some already-inhabited planet?
3) Related to 2, it seems like an awful lot of work to set up all of the excavation and construction to justify this Instant Matter thing when you could have presented a VR system for a lot less work.
4) As soon as we find out the truth about Lea, it becomes completely impossible to care about the lore presented from Gaea's Garden onward - which seems fitting, considering the whole thing with Lou Crezia and the Shad lady is presented incredibly unconvincingly, since they clearly are just NPCs. We know the aliens aren't really aliens because of a log entry that clarifies that humanity is the only species in the galaxy.
5) The final boss is... a lunatic game designer. The Blue Avatar just being Gautham was a huge disappointment, and Sidwell was never hinted at or presented at any time before, so it feels weird and discordant with everything that came before. All this effort to create torture chambers for copied AIs - how much can the information of random players be worth versus the enormous cost that went into all of this?

Ultimately, this is the more realistic version - we really have no idea what alien lifeforms would look like, and making the lore relevant would have required some concessions. However...

It feels like the true nature of things could and should have been presented much earlier instead of this emphasis on the game's lore. Narratively, it's a bit of a mess.

~

Of course, this is before we've seen the final chapter of the game. For all I know, there are more curveballs waiting. I know the mystery of C'tron has me hooked, and I am desperate to see Lea and AI-Lukas' reunion, and more Shizuka/Lea interaction :<

To quote an in-game character: "Big Update this year?"