General discussion about CrossCode.

Tone Shifts

User

Jachra

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Tone Shifts

by Jachra » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:47 pm

So after the extremely tragic events of Vermilion Wastes, did anyone feel a little singed by a completely inappropriate tone shift?

Specifically,
SpoilerSHOW
after having witnessed people having completely lost their minds, someone being actively tortured, and New Best Friend Lukas getting captured,
not only did we not really have time to process the tragedy, but Lea is immediately subjected to a fairly humiliating process of hazing.

Gave me tonal whiplash a bit. I wonder if the intent was for the silliness to take the sting out of tragedy, but it just left me feeling cold.

Not to complain too much - the whole Vermilion Wastes arc kept me up until 5-6am because I just couldn't put it down until I found out what would happen to them. Indeed, the whole reason I felt a little put off was because I became incredibly invested
SpoilerSHOW
with Lukas, even if I predicted what was going to happen, it still stung after all of the emotional connections they formed. Having it brushed over so quickly felt a little jarring.

Love this game.
no avatar
User

FireTako

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:51 am

Re: Tone Shifts

by FireTako » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:00 am

I felt like it was intentionally jarring.

Which I enjoyed in hindsight
User

Jachra

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Re: Tone Shifts

by Jachra » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:22 am

While I don't necessarily agree, I do like how the portion of the game following that properly dealt with grief!

There's a lot to grieve, now that I've (minutes ago) finished, and that's the beauty of tragedy. Overall this was one of my favorite games.