General discussion about CrossCode.
no avatar
User

HiHiHiandHi

Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:14 am

【Translation problem】How to translate the game's name ?

by HiHiHiandHi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:25 am

Hi I'm from china, we now have a problem about the game's name.
Currently there're two  temporary translations of "crosscode" :

:idea: 通行码( tong xing ma ), which means something a password that you may input into an electronic door or tell it to a concierge.
Here "cross" mostly means "get across", and "code" means cipher code.

:idea: 交叉准则( jiao cha zhun ze ), which means a theorem about two or more things that intersect.
Here "cross" means "intersect", "code" means "theorem" or "rule".

But in fact we have no idea on how to translate the game's name. Those two names are just guesswork.
I think it's better ask the author.
I know there may be some kind of foreshadowing or metaphor in the word "crosscode", maybe just want to stay unpredictable a little......
but, you know,
once there was a game called "The Elder Scrolls", and the first chinese translation version (must 100% Google translate) got a name which means "old man scroll bar",
And another game, Crysis, since no one knows what this unheard-of word means, we just GAVE it a name that means "a crisis occured on an isolated island". As you know, only Crysis 1 occured on an island, and it's just can't change a well-known name into some other, so even if there is no island at all, it still called "a crisis occured on an isolated island 2" and 3......

Crosscode is really a fantastic game, I'm so sure it will get widely popular, so please help us, at least we can know how to write the bbs section name.
Thank you ! :'D
User

RadicalDude

Rank

Developer

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: 【Translation problem】How to translate the game's name ?

by RadicalDude » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:33 pm

The answer is actually simple! CrossCode is a proper noun meaning it stands for itself, the translation would simply be "CrossCode". :)
no avatar
User

HiHiHiandHi

by HiHiHiandHi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:10 pm

RadicalDude wrote:The answer is actually simple! CrossCode is a proper noun meaning it stands for itself, the translation would simply be "CrossCode". :)

What? So there won't be a Chinese translation of the game's name?
Is that ok? You know, we just always make a Chinese translation, it's like that people can only see Chinese characters and ignore all other characters.
If there isn't an official translation, somebody will just make one, no matter how absurd it is, people will just use it.
At least, try explain what does "crosscode" mean ......please.
Or, if it's better, maybe we just transliterate it. Ke Luo Si Kou De, like this.
User

Urinstein

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:41 am

by Urinstein » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Seems like the devs would rather keep us in the dark about any potential meaning of the game's name.

Information is rather sparse when it comes to the story, so any of this is complete speculation, but here's what I tend to think CrossCode stands for:
Code might mean "computer code" or "software code". Shizuka's brother's actions in the prologue, as well as the whole setting in a (semi-)digital world suggest that to me. I would assume (again, complete speculation) that Shizuka's brother is a hacker of sorts. In that train of thought Lea is basically hacked into the game.
Cross seems to be carried over from "CrossWorlds", the name of the MMO and/or the planet is is being played on. In that case it might reference the "intersection" of the real and the digital world, since that seems to be the selling point of CrossWorlds.

Thinking about all of this, makes the game sound quite cyberpunky.

HiHiHiandHi wrote:Or, if it's better, maybe we just transliterate it. Ke Luo Si Kou De, like this.

I like to just call it CC for convenience sake, so that might be an option for you as well.
"Twice as eloquent but still disappointed, Lea left the dungeon"
no avatar
User

HiHiHiandHi

by HiHiHiandHi » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Urinstein wrote:Seems like the devs would rather keep us in the dark about any potential meaning of the game's name.

Information is rather sparse when it comes to the story, so any of this is complete speculation, but here's what I tend to think CrossCode stands for:
Code might mean "computer code" or "software code". Shizuka's brother's actions in the prologue, as well as the whole setting in a (semi-)digital world suggest that to me. I would assume (again, complete speculation) that Shizuka's brother is a hacker of sorts. In that train of thought Lea is basically hacked into the game.
Cross seems to be carried over from "CrossWorlds", the name of the MMO and/or the planet is is being played on. In that case it might reference the "intersection" of the real and the digital world, since that seems to be the selling point of CrossWorlds.

HiHiHiandHi wrote:Or, if it's better, maybe we just transliterate it. Ke Luo Si Kou De, like this.

I like to just call it CC for convenience sake, so that might be an option for you as well.

Yes! I think you are right!
"Cross" must be related to the "cross" of "reality" and "virtuality" ! THis should be the key significance of this word. Our translation should aim at it.
Puns always hard to translat...... I think the game's Chinese name should be discreetly discussed with translaters. Maybe 穿越代码(a pun, firstly a verb,pass through some code, secondly a noun,codes about passing through something)
......or something similar.
Thank you for your valuable advices.
no avatar
User

mindgamer

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:39 am

by mindgamer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:45 am

HiHiHiandHi wrote:
Urinstein wrote:Seems like the devs would rather keep us in the dark about any potential meaning of the game's name.

Yes! I think you are right!
"Cross" must be related to the "cross" of "reality" and "virtuality" ! THis should be the key significance of this word. A good CHS translation should aim at it.
Puns always hard to translat...... I think the game's Chinese name should be discreetly discussed with translaters. Maybe 穿越代码(a pun, firstly a verb,pass through some code, secondly a noun,codes about passing through something)
......or something similar.
Thank you for your valuable advices.

Perfect point about the pun! "Cross the codes" vs. "The crossing codes"! 穿越代码 is what we shall go with!
User

Larkhans

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:01 am

by Larkhans » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:06 am

The Cross in Crosscode stands for Croissant.