Talk about anything else.

Coding Language

no avatar
User

sadbob2001

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Coding Language

by sadbob2001 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:37 pm

So i've been wanting to create a game for a long time now, and last week i decided to really put things into paper. So i started learning C# language. But then i realised that Crosscode is written in javascript. In my game i wanted to make a fluid combat like Crossode's one, so now i'm asking for advice. Would i be able to create a combat as fluid as Crosscode's using C#?
User

Wervyn

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Coding Language

by Wervyn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Short answer: yes, absolutely.

One of the things that makes CrossCode so impressive to me is that Javascript and application-in-browser in general isn't exactly known for being all that performant. There are tons of graphically impressive, smoothly running games built on .NET; anything built in Unity, for example, although it too doesn't have a reputation for being especially well optimized.

Now, not to dampen your enthusiasm, but it sounds like you're barreling towards a pretty typical newbie programmer burnout if you aren't careful. It's really easy to look at some super cool combat sequence in a game you like and imagine making your own version of it. But there's a huge amount of work that goes into turning a game idea into implementation. And a lot of it has little to do with programming: making things LOOK cool has to do with artistry and animation, which can be very time consuming. Making things FEEL cool to play has a lot to do with good design principles and playtesting, which can take a lot of iteration to get just right. And then we get to the programming component, where most tutorials only go so far as to explain the essential toolkit of a language or framework, and MAYBE show you how to build a toy. Getting from that to a fully-fledged project where you have to make every decision about what tools to use and how they fit together to accomplish your vision can be daunting.

All that to say, pace yourself as you set out to make games. Remember that anything worth doing is worth doing poorly. Start by working out a game idea that you pretty much know how to implement from start to finish. Something with a very small amount of unknowns that you'll have to research, that you know you can complete in a short amount of time. I'd say no more than a month, and a couple weeks of effort would be better. Make that thing, learn from doing it, then throw it away and do it again, and again. Each time try to reach a little bit farther, include more ambitious ideas that push the limits of what you can do comfortably. And incrementally, you'll get better. Practice, is how you get good at doing anything.

In any case, good luck and don't be discouraged when it gets hard!