Talk about anything else.
User

darternight

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:46 pm

games like crosscode?

by darternight » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:20 pm

So I've been trying to find games like crosscode for a while that are well balanced in puzzle and combat and various other things that crosscode has and I was wondering if anybody else found one or was looking for one or something? Just something to tide my thirst over for crosscode to come out
HAVE FUN!
User

Urinstein

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:41 am

Re: games like crosscode?

by Urinstein » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:57 pm

Depends on what youlike about CrossCode.

One of my favourite games is Hotline Miami. Top Down Puzzle Shooter, great pixel asthetics and style, late 80's early 90's vibe, awesome soundtrack, super tight controls, minimalistic and trippy story.
It's similiar to CC in the controls and gameplay department, which is my favourite part in both of these games, but that's about it.

It's 8,50€ in the german Steam store right now and the second (and last) installment is due this year.
You might wanna check it out on Youtube or whatever.
"Twice as eloquent but still disappointed, Lea left the dungeon"
User

RadicalDude

Rank

Developer

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 pm

by RadicalDude » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:21 pm

There are no games like CrossCode! CrossCode is unique. Join the cult now! :D
User

darternight

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:46 pm

by darternight » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:05 pm

Your not wrong there XD
HAVE FUN!
User

Saintrl

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:55 pm

Austin, Texas

by Saintrl » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:43 pm

RadicalDude wrote:There are no games like CrossCode! CrossCode is unique. Join the cult now! :D

Become one with the Crosscode!
no avatar
User

Evu

Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:04 am

by Evu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:47 am

Some of the closest stuff would probably be the japanese action-rpg SNES classics like the famous trio from Quintet (Soul Blazer/Blader, illusion of Gaia/Time, Terranigma) or the all-time favourites Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore.

If those have to few puzzles and shooting for your taste or you're just searching for something more modern, i guess Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light might be worth a try. Maybe also just check out some 2D Zeldas or their tributes/clones like ittle dew or oceanhorn for example.

And those are the titles that kind of have a similar feel through their perspective to it. I guess if you look into it/the genres more broadly you could also find parallels to games like devil may cry...

But yeah, it's really hard to say, since there's nothing which is quite like crosscode~
User

K0media

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:54 pm

by K0media » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:52 pm

I agree with @Evu, he's just forgot the classic Chrono Trigger. There are also a bunch of other classic live-action RPGs from SNES, but I can't remember now. But imho I have to agree with @RadicalDude, Cross-Code is very unique. It doesn't compare to any other RPGs I've ever seen or played.
I can't recall of these classics from SNES I'm talking about right now, but I'll edit the post when I find out.
Wanna help me? Consider thinking about ideas twice before throwing them in a trash can, mm'kay? :D

by K0media
User

Urinstein

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:41 am

by Urinstein » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:05 pm

I know now what this game is for me.

It's theme and style remind me of Digimon 2003, which also played in an MMO environment and CC's menus and backgrounds very much remind me of it. It also had you run around as a spritechar from room to room.

Also running around and dropping damage numbers upon sprite enemies in Exploration mode reminds me of Ragnarok Online which actually is an MMORPG, with basically only farming mobs in it.

On the gameplay department, as I already said, CC has a lot of Hotline Miami in it for me. Obviously becuase it'd a top down shooter with puzzle elements, but man, the controls were just so good and the tempo pretty high. CC feels just as good to play. Also in both games you look super cool when you just nail it for once. Hotline Miami Speedruns are the best thing in the world btw.

And obviously when you through together games as different as those you end up with something very different again. But for me personally, CC has so many good vibes that I still remember from playing those game. I can only hope that in the future someone playing another game will say the same thing about Crosscode.
"Twice as eloquent but still disappointed, Lea left the dungeon"
no avatar
User

MangoLion

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:18 am

by MangoLion » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:19 am

I believe Bastion is very similar in terms of combat system
https://www.supergiantgames.com/games/bastion/
no avatar
User

Seraphie

Mon May 18, 2015 2:56 pm

by Seraphie » Mon May 18, 2015 3:43 pm

Could I add an other very similar (but not exactly) game series to the similar list? The Ys game series are also similar gameplay wise. It's a fast paced action rpg series. In fact it's how I found this game. Someone that knows I love Ys notified me about CrossCode. =)

I also agree with the Secret of Mana titles and Bastion. Also agree with Zelda too somewhat though that's more puzzling and battles have less action to them. Also no leveling but you get stronger through more life and item upgrades.

I don't agree with Chrono Trigger. (It's a great game though.) The only similar thing I can see in it is kind of how the maps look. Gameplay wise it's not having much similar at all.
Next