Report bugs or give feedback for CrossCode.
no avatar
User

Croixcode

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:33 pm

General impressions from 8 hours gameplay

by Croixcode » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Of course I enjoyed the demo from a few years ago, and I finally decided to get the full game about a month ago.

A few things are rather noticeable to me:
Sometimes quests have vague or poor descriptions. Even when they're supposed to be cryptic. There's that mission where you need to help someone cook steak. There's very little explanation for how to come across hard or soft wood, and what the game doesn't end up integrating as well might be the equivalent of the pokedex in Pokemon when it comes to looking things up and reference. The main issue is that I'm forced to turn to google to figure out what hard wood is, instead of any sort of useful hint- not having entered bergen trail yet (which I think might contain hard wood), I pretty much don't have any remote clue when it comes to
this wood.
But furthermore, many quest descriptions seem to be too brief. It's a slight struggle to remember where locations and things are. This rarely becomes a major issue, although it does make for some awkward quest play. Perhaps this is really an issue which is linked with a lack of named locations. But in any case, quests which help me out by describing where locations are may be helpful.

This game's weakest aspects appear to be its UI/information and quests.

Map locations are hard to remember when unlabeled on maps. I think showing me numerous shops in rookie harbour is nice, and therefore I see no reason why the rest of the maps should be empty metroid-style room boxes.

In the northeast of rookie harbour, there's a railing you can jump on from the boxes. First on the 1 height small boxes, then the 2 height silver shipping crates. I don't know if it's because of controller, but in any case it's incredibly difficult to navigate. The issue may be jumping in general, I think that the autojump feature is necessary (as opposed to manually jumping), but a bit clunky. We should be able to maybe make some settings changes; at least remove the part where we're pushed forwards automatically.

In any case croixcode is exceptional. I would also like to know if I'm the only one who thinks Emilie is annoying; she hasn't redeemed herself for being arrogant at the beginning.