Report bugs or give feedback for CrossCode.
no avatar
User

Eliphal

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:40 am

Can we talk about healing items?

by Eliphal » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:52 am

So, I'm a huge fan of the game, but one thing in particular causes me immense frustration.

I've been coming up against several fights that I really struggle getting past. In a typical RPG, this is where I would start busting out the items, especially the big healing items.

Except..... in Cross-Code, the healing items are so easily interrupted, that any situation where I would want to use them, I can't use them.

The typical response would be to simply "git gud", but if "gitting gud" is the only way past those situations, then what is the point of having the items at all?

I think a decent compromise would be to have the items still lock you into an animation, but having the healing occur immediately. Thus still leaving you vulnerable (and possibly causing you to lose more HP than you gained), but not completely screwing you.

A great example of this, is that its exactly how the Monster Hunter series uses healing items. The item's healing effect occurs within the first few frames of animation, but then a fairly long animation follows.
no avatar
User

Eliphal

Re: Can we talk about healing items?

by Eliphal » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Anything on this? I feel like this is a topic that deserves some discussion at least, even if the overall opinion is that the system as it is works.
no avatar
User

PETTdavids

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:02 pm

by PETTdavids » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:50 pm

My own thought on this is still 'git gud', in two ways. Not in the sense of levelling up and getting better gear, but in grasping the battle situation. In order to heal you have to make sure you are safe to do so, e.g. by eating while the boss charges for an attack or by first stunning your enemies. Or plan ahead by eating buff food before the battle. You can do this thanks to the incredibly forgiving death mechanic (die once, then buff up for the next attempt).
The other thing is that if you could heal very easily the game could quickly become too easy.

Exploit the fact that items that only heal a little are eaten faster and exploit the respawning to practice and prepare.
no avatar
User

TeiHek

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:35 am

by TeiHek » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Being both a Monster Hunter and Dark Souls player, I can see where this is coming from, but I don't think it desperately needs a change. At around level 40-45, I had ran out of the lesser healing items and had relied on stronger healing, but what seemed most effective was to find an opening in their moves and take the time to use healing items based on my health missing and the time in between attacks, after I had restocked on Hi-Sandwiches. So like Monster Hunter, I would recommend taking some time to study the attacks, and choosing when to heal carefully.
no avatar
User

Eliphal

by Eliphal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Ah, I had not realized the items that heal less are eaten faster. Perhaps this was stated in the game early on and I just forgot about it while waiting for patches. This was likely my issue as I was often just trying to use the stronger healing items in those situations. Guess I'll have to keep this in mind as I continue bashing my head against the damn scorpion room in the 2nd dungeon (I am really really really bad at fighting those things).
User

_INTER_

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:13 pm

by _INTER_ » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:03 pm

Also try items that heal over time, like the berry tea.