Report bugs or give feedback for CrossCode.
no avatar
User

DarkIce

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:57 am

[Suggestion] The Southern Drawl on the Botanics Researcher

by DarkIce » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:06 am

Just picked up that game and haven't played a whole lot yet, but figured I might chime in on this.

I just ran into the researcher that gives you access to the Botanics menu, and my goodness her "southern drawl" is bad. Like, really bad, not really representative of an actual southern accent. Which, I've lived in Texas for a while and am rather familiar with a typical southern accent and would be happy to assist on altering that dialogue to be truly southern (with as much emphasis as you want hah). For example, she says "faw" instead of "for," where a southern drawl would typically use "fer."

I would have submitted via the F7 menu, but it seemed like a lot to submit, so let me know if that's a better way to go about it and I will!
User

Wervyn

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:05 am

Re: [Suggestion] The Southern Drawl on the Botanics Research

by Wervyn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:30 pm

I've actually provided a lot of feedback on this myself as a native Atlantan, there are a couple dialogues I have yet to get to but they are definitely aware of the issue and have accepted a number of my suggestions. I see no reason not to tag team it, though, and changes and improvements will probably be iterative.

One of the things I've pointed out is that in reality there isn't really one monolithic Southern Accent but a number of regional dialects. A lot of the "aw" versus "er" stuff is actually evocative of a Georgia-area dialect, which I probably have a better feel for growing up here with an especially 'Suh-thuhn' grandmother. I don't think that parses nearly as well in writing though, especially to the unfamiliar ear. The Texan or Carolina 'Suh-thern' accent (which have many similarities) is a lot more stereotypically associated and easier to evoke with textual cues.

The other thing that really sells an accent is well-used colloquialisms. So I've tried to make sure we get at least one or two properly invoked "bless yer heart"s in there, and I'd love some more collaboration on classic southern similes for how damned hot it is.
User

RadicalDude

Rank

Developer

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: [Suggestion] The Southern Drawl on the Botanics Research

by RadicalDude » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:00 pm

I already inlcuded all of Wervyns suggestions. It'll come with the next update. But we always appreciate help. So if you have something for us, press F7 and submit a suggestion for the line and we'll look over it.