General discussion about CrossCode.
no avatar

Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:24 pm

The problems i found with Crosscode

by potatogod90 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:57 pm

As much as i wanted to love this game i met some serious obstacles and those i'm going to analyze here.

1)God do i hate grinding, but this game is infested with it. Way too tedious leveling up, and the game gives you no motive to do so. Nor does it care to make it more pallatable for you in any way.

Suggestions: Make a system where every time you fight an opponent, you use analyze on the situation and you get to find the enemy's weaknesses and you get a bonus/advantage against the specific kind of opponents. You can also have it that it improves your loot and scavenging as you encounter more of them. Maybe even causing them to level up or unlock special ascended forms and mini bosses.

Which leads us to the next point.

2)Levelling up. It takes way too long, if i wanted a normal MMORPG i'd go play WoW or something. You should be able to level from side jobs and activities that you like and not boring repetitive fights and boring repetitive quests. Having special guild quests or building up your community or exploring, fishing, gardening and working. find alternative ways to level up and make it faster, especially at the higher levels.

3)There is no crafting

4)Some objects are too expensive to buy and require too many animal leftovers from battles. Especially in the areas after the snowy village.

5)Difficulty and controls. It's not an extremely fun game. It's controls are cute but nothing groundbreaking. And they can get very tedious especially for untrained gamers like my sister. i got like 15 hours into the game, she quit from the start due to the full concentration and epileptic speed the controls require. Specifically i quited in the second Apollo battle. I literally cannot pass that ****. He approached faster than your character can dodge, and spamming spheres didnt do anything cause he avoids them all. Also he has a ridiculous spammy amount of continuous SP for special attacks. First two rounds pretty doable but couldn't get past that. Pitty, cause i was curious what would happen if i transformed into a "complete avatar"... . (if thats even included yet).

[if cheat codes are included i might bother with this battle again to see the continuation of the story].

6)Boss fights. Meh, a bit repetitive. And predictable, they begin easy, and after the middle they get a bit more tense.

7)Story and lore. Interesting somewhat but what also a teen can write if you give him an afternoon or two on his balcony. Had some premises that were never explored to their full potential i think.

8)Supposedely depicts a futuristic MMORPG but fails to give this vibe. The clan system is non existent. You cannot interact with characters or challenge them in PVP in the street. You can't raid together. No special combined party attacks like Chrono Trigger and the whole "classes" thingy with the fany but meaningless names doesn't make you care about it. It's like it was forced there last minute to create a false sense of variation. There are no visible bugs in the crossworld, no hackers and antihacking police force countering them. No mentioned use of the avatars besides gaming etc.

Anyway, gotta appreciate the Chrono Trigger and Zelda homages, but the game fails to deliver and stand on the shoulders of giants like that as their "spiritual successor"... .

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:05 am

Re: The problems i found with Crosscode

by Wervyn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:59 pm

1. You don't need to grind to level. Whenever I do a playthrough I have to consciously AVOID combat while handling all of the sidequests in order to not over-level too much. Try doing some quests, you'll get experience faster that way. You are definitely NOT meant to be fighting the same enemies that are only giving you 1 XP over and over again, this is your clue that you are well ahead of the level curve for the area. On learning enemies' weaknesses and gaining advantages against them, you would already be figuring this out naturally by playing the game if you were observant. And if you haven't found some of the unique variants of different mobs yet, you are not doing enough questing or exploring.
  2. See above, and most of the quests ARE guild-based, many of them involving unique mechanics.
  3. Trading IS crafting in everything but name.
  4. Unless you're trying to buy one of everything you shouldn't have too much trouble making the money and materials for two or three good items in each new area to supplement what you find through chests and exploration. There's also nothing WRONG with the gear you can just buy in a store, if you can't be bothered. Don't forget to sell drops and old gear for extra cash.
  5. You know you don't have to beat Apollo to continue the story, right? There's not even a real consequence for losing or winning yet. He's supposed to be a hard fight and an optional challenge, but for general advice that can carry over into difficulty you may be having with combat in the rest of the game, you'll do better if you focus on understanding your enemies' attacks and tells and how to counter them, than just blindly spamming attacks. Apollo's fights are SPECIFICALLY about this, he's hard to hit normally but you can severely punish him if you read his attacks correctly. Don't forget that you have a shield that can be used to parry attacks if timed correctly, this can be used against him to devastating effect. There's also a guard art in the Heat circuit that will automatically guard and counter with less strict timing, which many consider to be the easy-mode for this fight.
  6. If you're having trouble with Apollo I'm not sure you can talk much about the boss fights being too easy or predictable, but for this type of game predictability is the whole point of a boss fight. You learn the full scope of a boss's attacks, how they're telegraphed and how to avoid or counter them, and where there are openings for your own attacks. At first this takes some trial and error but as you become accustomed to the patterns they become easier and easier to deal with.
  7. Probably a little too early to critique the story on what it hasn't addressed given that it's only half complete (and you've played even less than that apparently).
  8. Many of these things (raids, bugs, hackers vs. moderators) are already IN the game and you should probably keep playing to see how they work out. Some, like more PvP, are likely coming in the future, while others like combat-pausing party attacks don't really work with the combat system as designed (though you can still make use of your party for some pretty effective combos if you're smart about it).