General discussion about CrossCode.

Items and discovery

no avatar
User

ThatScar

Sat May 27, 2017 7:46 am

Items and discovery

by ThatScar » Sat May 27, 2017 8:57 am

This is more of a feedback post but the bugs and feedback subforum seemed to fit more to fit small things. This is bigger.

I really enjoy the parkour aspect of the game and finding the plants and the chests but each time I get less excited about it because I know that in the end I will end up either finding a chest with boring items or plants that I can break anywhere else where they respawn. One way to fix this is to make the rewards unique and not farmable. I imagine you could get a unified resource that's in every chest but that resource must never regenerate. A good example would be Hyper Light Drifter: the only item in that game is called a gear bit, found in cool dark grey and gold crates. The crates there are scattered all around the world: both in secret places and along the main road but they never ever regenerate. It feels very rewarding when you collect 4 of them and an animation shows how 4 bits form into a gear coin of some sorts. You feel like you've accomplished something and this is what CrossCode lacks and the parkour/small puzzle chests are a perfect way to introduce this, along with some chests scattered around the main path.
Same goes for plants but it's even less interesting because you never know if you've found a new plant or if you're harvesting the same ones over and over again and so, when you do actually destroy a plant you haven't destroyed before, you don't feel any better whatsoever.

Now, for the use of items: it's almost impossible to collect the drops from enemies to use in a shop, I've bought like 5 before even getting halfway through Autumn's Rise (I've played till I completed the Bergen Mine and about an hour after) and after that, one item in Bergen Village (consumables excluded). By the time you collect the items, they get pretty useless because you can already get to the next zone, no sweat. I'd rather if the items that enemy drops were all for quests and shops never required them. One way would be to buy things with that resource from chests I've talked about earlier but items like this mustn't be essential because a lot of players will save these rare chest-resources for later and almost never buy anything while some will buy the best item available ASAP.
Unless, you could make these items have permanent value and be completely irreplaceable, either by having their effect increase with level or by introducing unique attributes. The game has very interesting unique attributes that are already present on current items. My recommendation is to extract those effects from said items and be sold separately, the effect items, like amulets of some sort, bought for chest-resource. These either have many slots, possibly with the ability to increase the amount of slots or just unlimited slots. It's best if you can refund these amulets back into chest-resources at the cost of money. This would probably eliminate the need for some other items and I think that's ok.
I will add, most of these effects are really really cool but they're so small, placed in a corner you barely notice them. Having items dedicated for effects will definitely expose them more well and, additionally, if the effects are more active, like VRP charge speed could slightly alter the color of the VRP charging textures or add some particles to be really noticeable. Be sure to try this little effect out if you don't end up doing anything else I suggest!

Ultimately, I propose:
  • Put unique chest-resources into chests and scatter more chests along the main route, chests mustn't reappear.
  • Make it clear which plants you have destroyed before (any way works)
  • Transfer all or some amount of grindable items from shops to quests such that chest now require less items and quests want them.
  • Take out all or some effects from equipment and have separate amulets that provide these effects. Amulets are sold in shops for chest-resources.

I hope this can help you make the game better but I realize you might not have time or motivation to make such a shift. I'd gladly elaborate more on my thought process behind this, make meaningful compromises or even be involved in the process more closely, commenting on the forums isn't the best form of communication, after all.
no avatar
User

Ayrennar

Sun May 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Re: Items and discovery

by Ayrennar » Sun May 28, 2017 7:19 pm

I like the idea of farming for attributes and weapons having their own "equip slots" like handle, attack mod, defense mod, special mode (for all the cool stats you've made in the game), and its a goal to unlock weapons with better base stats and more slots, but doesn't INVALIDATE the grind you just went through. They can still scale with like "12% attack" and later you can grind out "15% attack" but your grinding wast invalidated by having to replace the entire weapon. Its just augmentation

Makes the farming feel like it carries over area to area rather than be worthless the moment a new upgrade comes by.
User

lachsen

Rank

Developer

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Re: Items and discovery

by lachsen » Mon May 29, 2017 11:55 am

This is a very major change and we really can't promise to do this for CrossCode.
However, we'll definitely consider this as feedback for future projects we might work on. We'll try to improve these grinding aspects then.