Hacking

User

heydogers

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:00 pm

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Hacking

by heydogers » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:11 am

Thanks Urinstein!
Now i can translate the game to my native language - also: i'm already translating =)
Brazilian RPG-Maker Developer and a crazy one by Cross-Code!
Twitter -- @themitosan
Instagram -- @themitosan
no avatar
User

Nnubes256

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:33 pm

by Nnubes256 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:34 pm

Urinstein wrote:
darternight wrote:Dude you should teach me how to change sprites and stuff I would love to make something of a texture pack for this game!
:'D :'D :'D :'D :'D

You need to downoad Node Webkit at http://nwjs.io/ and unpack it to where yo want it.
Then you need to make a copy of crosscode-beta.exe and rename it to .zip. Unpack it with a proper zip-tool, preferably WinRar as neither the Windows one nor 7zip worked for me.
Throw all the files from crosscode-beta.zip into your nw folder and you'll end up with this.

Now you can tinker around with the files and start the altered game via nw.exe.
Doing palette swaps is easy, changing sprites and textures might be harder due to the size limitations. If you wanna be hardcore you could tryand figure out where the sprite-file layouts are defined and try to adjust them to your needs.
In case you wanna play around with game files other than graphics and audio, don't forget to make sure your text editor can format json files.

PS: Thanks again to Vegita and >I'm sorry I forgot your name< who told me about the Nod Webkit thing.

Didn't think of that! I actually analized the executable with binwalk and fetched the zip file with dd.

I didn't use nw.js, I always run the game on Chrome, but this requieres a lot of extra work:
  • You have to set up a webserver so the required webworkers can work(something something major browser security). I personally use Python and this bash script(something something mac/linux):
    Code: Select all
    #!/bin/bash

cd /my/crosscode/directory/
    python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080

Then you go on localhost:8080 with your browser and click on node-webkit.html.
    Windows users might have luck with Mongoose. Get the executable, place in same directory as node-webkit.html and run. Then same as above.
  • You have to patch node-webkit.html because of a nwjs-related dev workaround than prevents the game from running in a browser:
    WinMerge patchSHOW
    Code: Select all
    53,58c53,60
    <     window['process'].once('uncaughtException', function() {
    <         var win = require('nw.gui').Window.get();
    <         if(!win.isDevToolsOpen()) {
    <             win.showDevTools();
    <         }
    <     });
    ---
    >     try {
    >         window['process'].once('uncaughtException', function() {
    >             var win = require('nw.gui').Window.get();
    >             if(!win.isDevToolsOpen()) {
    >                 win.showDevTools();
    >             }
    >         });
    >     } catch(e) {/* It's a browser, don't do anything */}

Save in a file and apply with WinMerge.
    Yes, it's just adding a try/catch around that piece of code, but mere mortals often hate seeing code xd.
    Devs: you couldn't add a try-catch-all inside the startCrossCode function, couldn't you xddd?
Hard? Yep.
Complicated and pointless? Absolutely.
User

Urinstein

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:41 am

by Urinstein » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:06 pm

heydogers wrote:Now i can translate the game to my native language - also: i'm already translating =)

Oh god please don't. There's really no point.
Dialogues and descriptions might change, others might be deleted altogether. Most stuff isn't written yet, bla bla, you get te gist.
I don't think porting translation between different versions would be easy.

Towards the end of development, when most test/dialogue is done, translations are planned and there will certainly be better ways to do it then, than hacking the files right now.
"Twice as eloquent but still disappointed, Lea left the dungeon"
User

heydogers

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:00 pm

São Paulo, Brazil

by heydogers » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:47 pm

Urinstein wrote:
heydogers wrote:Now i can translate the game to my native language - also: i'm already translating =)

Oh god please don't. There's really no point.
Dialogues and descriptions might change, others might be deleted altogether. Most stuff isn't written yet, bla bla, you get te gist.
I don't think porting translation between different versions would be easy.

Towards the end of development, when most test/dialogue is done, translations are planned and there will certainly be better ways to do it then, than hacking the files right now.

Yep, that is true. Well, someone here know if will have a brazilian portuguese version of the game?
Barely started translating it, I did a few things. For those who want to see how it's getting, here are some pictures:
SpoilerSHOW

Brazilian RPG-Maker Developer and a crazy one by Cross-Code!
Twitter -- @themitosan
Instagram -- @themitosan
User

RadicalDude

Rank

Developer

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 pm

by RadicalDude » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:16 pm

For translating we actually have a tool in place, that will be used after we're almost done. This will make it possible to have people translate the game in any language that doesn't uses characters we don't support (yet).
User

Vipra

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Germany

by Vipra » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:00 pm

So I was bored a little today and began messing with the game (like all day long). And while doing so I found a few testing areas. And some secret story stuff so be warned, my video (without commentary) contains story spoilers. I'm going to try out a few more test maps today and tomorrow and will post about what sick thougts are in Radicalfishgame's mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfAY05gUrqE

Edit: I also just found green barriers in "henne-srs", which let you walk through but not balls
User

Atlessa

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Mönchengladbach (NRW/Germany)

by Atlessa » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:38 pm

I can't seem to extract the 0.3 version... help? (I want my Hex-VRP back :( )
User

HornyGoatFodder

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:15 pm

by HornyGoatFodder » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:05 am

It'd be nice to see the file structure/header of the pak files that steam distribute. The creaky old pak tools on linux don't know what to do. The file looks like a compressed archive with some spurious hexadecimal (little/big endian?) then there is some (lots of) readable ascii stuff further down e.g.

//console.log("NWJS/DEFAULT.JS");var manifest = chrome.runtime.getManifest();var options = {};var title = null;if (manifest.window) { if (manifest.window.id) options.id = manifest.window.id; options.innerBounds = {};...... etc

So obviously not all/any is compressed, it'd be nice to be able to contribute in some way, community mods etc can only broaden the appeal. Does anyone remember the elderscrolls morrowind, the modders fixed the bad bits of that game, and helped to make it more popular in the process.
no avatar
User

Kira

Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:38 pm

by Kira » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:27 pm

It might be a bit late but thanks from the @DerZocker01 guy :D
User

360noscope 420blzit

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:52 am

by 360noscope 420blzit » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:04 am

So I start looking at the enemies files and I found the item drop

Ex:"itemdrops":[{"items":"81"(the item number. Help me), "prob" :0.12(the maximum is 1. This is the chance drop percentage), "min" :1(the least can monster drop items), "max" :1(the maximum can monster drop the items), "rank" :""(you can leave this blank if you want to get the items without going to some rank)}]

If you guys know some item number plz give me sum

Also you can edit their health, defense, attack, credit, focus, experience, etc
I'm still working on players data and I see lea, Emilie, glasses, schneider(why), shizuka, etc :|
M8 I don't like normies meme
PreviousNext