General discussion about CrossCode.

Hacking

User

Vipra

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Germany

Hacking

by Vipra » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:33 pm

This thread will be all about this post I made on my Twitter, since @DerZocker01 wanted to know, how I got those stats.
First thing I did was finding the folder where the data, assets etc. is (/are) stored. That stuff is saved in a different temp folder every time you start the game.
Now how to find it?
What I do is I hop into Puzzle Mode and get to the third room (where those bouncy switches are),
then I fire a ball at the first of them, press ESC and go back to the main menu.
The game will crash and that's alright since the folder directory is right there in the crash report.
Right there. I hope you know how to go to that directory. :'D
Now open the folder "data" then "maps" and "rookie-harbor" and open "west.json" with your text editor of choice. (I'm using PsPad.)
In the editor search for "2000", since this is the amount of XP Carla gives you at the beginning.
Now you can freely edit, how much XP she is supposed to give you, but careful: If you set the amount too high the stats will be displayed as 0 and act as if you were LV.1.
Happy experimenting! :D
Last edited by Vipra on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Voltrey

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:02 am

Re: Hacking

by Voltrey » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:28 pm

I should play around with this!
Funny how i never did something like this since i knew where the directory was (did you find the test music file? Pretty catchy).

I can't believe the quitout transport glitch is still not fixed. I reported that glitch multiple times MONTH ago, you can screw up the game everywhere, the switch trigger calling a fatal error being the most severe of course.

Man i haven't played this game in a while i should screw around with this (maybe finally find that skip that i always wanted to happen). :D
Don't Panic
User

Vegita

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:29 am

by Vegita » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:46 am

Look what i've done

SpoilerSHOW
User

Vipra

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Germany

by Vipra » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:53 am

Noice job! Which programms are that? And how?
User

Vegita

by Vegita » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:22 am

The first one is Tiled, it's a 2d tile map editor. The second picture is of an 3d file viewer i found online http://p3d.in/.

I always wanted to create my own crosscode maps and because the json files of the maps are not obfuscated in any way it was pretty easy to understand how the map files work.

I wrote a small converter that translates the map in a readable format for tiled and back from the tiled format to the one cross code uses.
I tried to create a map and it was really difficult getting the collisions right. I tested that map alot and still found some errors (and that map is fairly simple). That's why i thought a 3d preview of the collisions would solve some of these problems. after creating the 3d converter i tested it with some bigger maps like the screenshot above and i really liked the result :lol:
User

RadicalDude

Rank

Developer

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 pm

by RadicalDude » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:57 am

Very cool :A

Interesting to see that the heights make sense sometimes. I really use a lot of tricks to make it clear which height you're on. Did you use the height map for this as well?

Oh and I can imagine it being pretty darn hard to make maps for CrossCode in Tiled. Personally the problem with Tiled is exactly that you don't see what you get. So you need to test often. Thanks to our height-map. Almost 99% of the collision gets automatically created!
User

Vegita

by Vegita » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:57 pm

I never used the height map, just the collision layers. I only wanted to create some maps for the rhombus dungeon and there is no height map, so there was no need to pay attention to them.
User

Urinstein

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:41 am

by Urinstein » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:13 pm

I don't know if playing around with sprites might deserve its own thread, but I'll post this here for now.

This kind of stuff is a lot more fun, than it has the right to be:
https://youtu.be/eVKYEfa3PtI
"Twice as eloquent but still disappointed, Lea left the dungeon"
User

darternight

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:46 pm

by darternight » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:15 pm

Dude you should teach me how to change sprites and stuff I would love to make something of a texture pack for this game!
:'D :'D :'D :'D :'D
HAVE FUN!
User

Urinstein

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:41 am

by Urinstein » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:45 pm

darternight wrote:Dude you should teach me how to change sprites and stuff I would love to make something of a texture pack for this game!
:'D :'D :'D :'D :'D

You need to downoad Node Webkit at http://nwjs.io/ and unpack it to where yo want it.
Then you need to make a copy of crosscode-beta.exe and rename it to .zip. Unpack it with a proper zip-tool, preferably WinRar as neither the Windows one nor 7zip worked for me.
Throw all the files from crosscode-beta.zip into your nw folder and you'll end up with this.

Now you can tinker around with the files and start the altered game via nw.exe.
Doing palette swaps is easy, changing sprites and textures might be harder due to the size limitations. If you wanna be hardcore you could tryand figure out where the sprite-file layouts are defined and try to adjust them to your needs.
In case you wanna play around with game files other than graphics and audio, don't forget to make sure your text editor can format json files.

PS: Thanks again to Vegita and >I'm sorry I forgot your name< who told me about the Nod Webkit thing.
"Twice as eloquent but still disappointed, Lea left the dungeon"
Next